My Photo


  • David Foster (shown here with his friend Gracie) is National Strategic Advisor for Morris Communications, and has been a leader within the independent magazine community for years. In April 2005, Dave was diagnosed with Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma, Stage 4, the sixth deadliest cancer, behind lung, liver, and breast. In emails to his ‘wellness group’ of friends and colleagues, Dave began chronicling his battle with the disease. In this blog, Dave Foster continues to “kick cancer’s arse”, sharing his story with a wider audience.

Contact David

Blog powered by Typepad

« A Small Gift From Dad | Main | A Whole New World »

June 04, 2008


My husband got kidney cancer in July 2007 but the rat had been their for a long time. In 2003 his blood count dropped a smidge. However they were unable to find something worng. Gradually he developed more pain. He kept delivering the mail because that was his job. After the initial diagnosis we kept getting worse and worse news. First they didn't think it was in his lungs. Well another Ct showed a lot of small mets in his upper lungs. Then they found one in his spine. We put him on Zomeeta and drove the bone met out. The tumor was all the way to his heart. The wonderful surgeon at University of Washington got out the kidney and tumore in one piece.

This disease is different and amazing. There are histories of people having the tumor removed and all the mets die. This has to be a simbiotic relationship of some sort. When we returned to Alaska I got in touch with David Foster who I enjoyed very much. He was a big help. Then Manual Lopez has been a sonderful support.

Harland was on Sutent for 10 months and it stopped working at about the time he retired because he felt he was walking on glass.

The SCCA put him on a clinical trial drug which keeps the cancer from grower. He has been on it for over 2 years. The draw back is that it takes all of his retirement to go from Alaska to Seattle every 2 weeks for treatment. But it is very worth it. It takes Harland's entire retirment to keep going. But it has been our miracle. It is funny you wish for a miracle and then you get it but do not realize that it is one.

For the time being I have my husband.

Also through going to seattle we have met some beautiful and wonderful friends. So in some fashion we have been giving a blessing.

very nice post !!!!

My 53 yr old mum has just been told he has two growths on her kidney. She has been passing blood for nearly 4 months on and off. The scan 4 months algo showed nothing, and now its there. She seems calm, and has the dreaded appointment in a few days to discuss removing the kidney. I feel like my world has ended. She is my mum, and im only 32. how can this be happening. She seems to calm and wants to get her work (self employed) upto date before going into hospital. It seems that she knows something we dont? Is she giving up? I feel so angry that she just doesnt pay to go privately, and get this hurried along. I feel helpless. Cant stop crying, and in total shock. How will my life ever feel the same again if the diagnosis is bad next week.

The comments to this entry are closed.